Nurse Aide Training will include:
Basic Nursing Skills
- Taking and recording vital signs
- Caring for the residents' environment
- Recognizing abnormal signs and symptoms of common diseases and conditions
Personal Care Skills
- Bathing, grooming, dressing and toileting, assisting with eating and hydration, and skin care
Mental Health and Social Service Needs
- Identifying developments tasks associated with the aging process
- Behavior management
- Assisting the resident in preserving dignity
Care of Cognitively Impaired Residents
- Communicating and understanding the behavior of the cognitively impaired
Basic Restorative Services
- Use of assistance devices in transferring, ambulation, eating and dressing
- Maintenance of range of motion
- Bowel and bladder training
- Providing privacy and maintaining confidentiality
Completion of this course fulfills the pre-requisite requirement for entry into the nursing programs at the University of Kentucky College of Nursing, and the Kentucky Community and Technical College System of Nursing programs.
Midway College Nursing Programs also require all pre-nursing students to successfully complete the Kentucky Medicaid Nurse Aide Evaluation and thereby become State Registered Nurse Aides (SRNA).
After successful completion of the Nurse Aide Training course the student will self schedule their State Competency Evaluation.
The Kentucky Community and Technical College System has responsibility for the final written or oral examination and the skills demonstration aspect of the competency evaluation. The cost of the examination is $75 and is payable to the testing center when the student registered for it.
Within 30 days of satisfactory completion of the competency evaluation, KCTCS shall forward to the Kentucky Nurse Aide Registry the name and social security number, address and test date of students who have successfully completed the competency evaluation.
The Kentucky Board of Nursing shall maintain, on the registry, the name of each student who has successfully completed the competency evaluation.