Become an essential member of our team - Volunteer with Bluegrass Hospice Care℠.
Do you have a heart for helping others? Have you thought about becoming a volunteer, but never made the call because you're not sure what is involved? Bluegrass Hospice Care℠ wants to talk with you about volunteering! There is a volunteer opportunity for everyone at Bluegrass Hospice Care℠.
Opportunities to help patients include:
- Supportive Visits - offer friendship, companionship, and support to hospice patients by being a friendly visitor to their residence.
- Respite Care - provide caregivers a break by staying with a patient for a short time.
- Transportation - transport patients to medical appointments or on errands.
- Practical Support - help patients and families by doing simple household chores like cooking, cleaning, mowing the yard, gardening, or shoveling snow.
- 11th Hour - be present at the bedside of a hospice patient who is actively dying.
- Professional Volunteers - share your professional talents with patients and families. This could include hairstylists/barbers, musicians, attorneys, massage therapists, and pet therapy volunteers.
- Care Calls - Make phone calls weekly to patients to check for supply needs before the weekend.
- Bereavement Support - To family members, through companionship, support groups, check-in calls and bereavement camps.
Opportunities to help the organization include:
- Administrative/Clerical Assistance - mailings, computer work, filing, answering the phone, and other clerical duties.
- Fundraising/Special Events - plan events and fundraise to support hospice patients and their families, share information at health fairs and distribute brochures.
Volunteers give as little or as much time as they wish. Some volunteers donate several hours each week while others commit to a few hours each month or work one event annually. You are in control of when and how you volunteer, with no minimums or requirements.
Each hospice office provides training, free of charge, with the typical training lasting three hours.
Volunteering with Bluegrass Hospice Care℠ is rewarding and impactful. These volunteers agree.
Volunteering at hospice allows me the opportunity to help others. The conversations I share with patients and their families are treasured moments and I feel like I am making a difference in their lives. - Hospice Volunteer
After retiring last year, I was looking for a way to give back in my community. My mother had received excellent care from Bluegrass Hospice Care℠ and I knew my time would be treasured there. I come in each week to make check-in calls to patients and know my time is making a difference to the patients and the care teams. - Hospice Volunteer